Monday, March 15, 2010

Table pics

It took me a while to get around to posting about the finished table...it was a bit traumatic to have to do what I did. I needed some time to enjoy the table to be sure it was all worth it. Saving it meant stripping off the shellac with alcohol and scraping the resulting goo into a garbage bag.

Sick.



So after two hours of scraping and buffing with steel wool all the finish was off. The headache from the fumes lasted much longer.




The steel wool raised some of the colour of the original finish so I painted on some ebony stain to darken it a bit.



Then came three coats of oil based urethane and tada:




It was WAAAYY more work than I figured, which is par for the course for me. But it classes up the joint so much it was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment